From the Teacher Handbook:
- Extraordinary Eelgrass Reading | Extraordinary Eelgrass Questions
- Eelgrass Morphology
- Leaf Length: Averaging eelgrass blade length in quadrats
- A Closer Look: Observe differences between eelgrass, seaweeds, and terrestrial land plants
- Meristem Exploration: Locate meristem and observe if it changes position over time.
- Dissolved Oxygen | DO Experiment
- Food Web Handout | Food Web Worksheet
- Eelgrass Organisms Data Sheet and Guide
- Eelgrass Organism Poster
- Experiment Ideas
Other Resources and Activities:
Essential Eelgrass Webinar-by Hillary Neckles, PhD. (a joint production of MDIBL and COSEE-Ocean Systems)
Background Reading on Estuaries (from By the Sea– A Guide on the Coastal Zone of Atlantic Canada)
High School: Photosynthesis and Respiration in Seagrasses Experiment ( by Dr. Laura Murray, University of MD Center for Environmental Science, Horn Point Laboratory) and Seagrass Photosynthesis Worksheet.
Seagrasses Organism Gallery (From Rhode Island Restoration Portal)
Root Tip Mitosis: Look at rhizomes’ root tips under the microscope and see chromosomes splitting in cells. This is the method for onion cells, let’s see if it works with eelgrass!